Sunday, August 28, 2011

Well Hello Again!

Saying that it has been awhile since I have posted on this blog might just be the biggest understatement of the year! :)  I would like to say that I have been busy leading a crazy, exciting life here in Hawaii but I dont think I can claim that quite yet.  Some things have been going on that I know you are dying to get caught up on...

I have a job working for a pet sitting company.  Mostly, I walk dogs a few hours a day.  It is not the most glamorous job by any means but it has helped me work on my tan and learn my way around some of the island.  It is nice not to really deal with people that much and to be getting paid more than when I worked at MUSC (if only I worked 40hrs a week with my current pay).  I am still looking for a job in my career field but it has been nice to have a "fun" job for a change.  I dont think I have ever had a job I would consider this much fun since I started working at the age of 14.  It looks like the best bet for a job out here close to my field will be with the government since the local marine science venues (aquarium, sea life park, universities) either dont want me or dont have openings....their loss!

I started playing roller derby with a team out here and love the girls.  It is nice to walk into an instant family despite the many conflicts that arise from having so much estrogen in one place.  I tore my hamstring in May so I have been off skates for a few months.  I am itching to get back to skating.  I am hoping to make it to practice on Tuesday of this coming week...wish me luck.  The leg is 100% healed as far as I can tell but my body has put on some pounds during my hiatus.

Dave got promoted at work and he is now a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy (well he will be officially on September 16th).  I am so proud of him and how hard he has worked to get to this point in his career.  Currently he is going through initiation (something only the Navy still does for this rank change) which is pretty much like rushing a fraternity.  There are four other guys on his boat that also made Chief.  We have all spent a lot of time together while they worked on various tasks and I must say I think he lucked out with a great group of guys.  I got lucky too because the other wives are awesome and we all get along.  The perks of making Chief include better housing!!  We are on the list for single family housing and I could not be happier.  I am beyond over sharing walls with people I do not live with.

I also had a friend from graduate school move out here a few weeks ago with her husband who is in the Air Force.  I am excited to have a friend in town who only lives two minutes away.  She is 6 months pregnant and trying to get settled into her new home and life here....I dont know how she does it!

I guess that is all for know but I promise to be more active on this blog.  I have been guilted by enough people for abandoning it that my interest has been renewed :)  Hopefully this promise will go over better than the ones in my last post.  My etsy account is still not set up and I am no longer taking TRX.  The later is because of my work schedule but I hope to be able to make some evening classes soon if derby doesnt get in the way.  I need to build my guns up again!

I hope you all have a great rest of your Sunday!  Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment